Whittington Stone

Whittington Stone

Where Dick Whittington heard the bells of Bow Church telling him to “turn again” and become “thrice Lord Mayor of London”. The Whittington Stone is an 1821 monumental stone and statue of a cat at the foot of Highgate Hill, a street, in Archway. It marks roughly where...
Hornsey Lane

Hornsey Lane

Lavinia Quivers Hornsey Lane is part of what is believed to be an ancient – possibly prehistoric – route, once known as Maiden Lane. There are several historic buildings at the Highgate Hill end, including the Jacobean No. 20 Read more on...
St Joseph’s Retreat

St Joseph’s Retreat

Lavinia Quivers St. Joseph’s Retreat, Highgate Hill was the first Catholic church in the area and the chief house of the Order of Passionists in England. They built a chapel here in 1858, on the site of the Black Dog Inn; the present church buildings, seen in the...
27 Highgate High Street

27 Highgate High Street

See more on Historic England site The world’s oldest Estate Agents, found in 1767. When enterprising auctioneer, John Prickett, born 1733, settled in the tiny hamlet of Highgate he could not have known he would be the founder of a thriving family business which would...
Old Fox and Crown

Old Fox and Crown

The Site of the Old Fox & Crown, the scene of Highgate’s greatest contribution to world history. In 1837, not long after her coronation, a young Queen Victoria was riding down Highgate West Hill in a carriage when the horses suddenly bolted. The out-of-control...