002: St Joseph’s Retreat
St. Joseph’s Retreat is the Order of Passionists’ HQ in England. They built a chapel here in 1858, on the site of the Black Dog Inn; this building, by Albert Vicars, was consecrated in 1885.
004: Lauderdale House
Lauderdale House, built c.1580, probably for merchant Sir Richard Martin, Mayor of London; remodelled in 1645. During the 1660s it was owned by the Earl of Lauderdale (the ‘L’ of CABAL); visitors included Charles II and Samuel Pepys, but the claim that Nell Gwynn was installed there by Charles II...
006: Cromwell House
Highgate Hill was the site of Europe’s first cable-car tramway. Built by Andrew Smith Hallidie, designer of the San Francisco Cable Car system, and opened in 1884, it was replaced in 1909, after several accidents, by a tram; by an electric trolley-bus in 1939; and by motor buses in 1960.
019: 27 Highgate High Street
The world’s oldest Estate Agents, found in 1767. When enterprising auctioneer, John Prickett, born 1733, settled in the tiny hamlet of Highgate he could not have known he would be the founder of a thriving family business which would be alive many generations after his death. John married Ann from...
023: Highgate High Street
Highgate is a leafy residential area with quaint tea rooms, gastropubs, and fine 18th-century buildings. Novelist George Eliot and revolutionary Karl Marx are among the historical figures buried at Highgate Cemetery, known for its elaborate tombs and wild greenery. Families with kids feed the...
Witanhurst – The early 18th century mansion Parkfield (which may have had a Jacobean predecessor), was replaced in 1917 by the vast French chateau-style building seen today, by the industrialist Sir Arthur Crosfield, who was instrumental in the saving of Kenwood House. During the inter-war period...
112: Athlone House
Athlone House, formerly known as Caen Wood Towers, is a large Victorian house in Highgate, London, England. Built c.1872, and until the early 1940s the residence of several important industrialists, it is now in a state of disrepair and awaiting restoration by its current owners. It was designed...
76: The Victoria Pub
The Victoria has been a pub since at least 1861; from 1871-1873 it was the Prince of Wales, and it was rebuilt in the early 20th century. At the time of writing it is closed and its future in doubt, though local people are campaigning for it to remain as a pub.
84: Wrestlers’ Pub
The Wrestler's Pub is Highgate’s oldest Public House, traditionally founded in 1547. The present building dates to 1921. Highgate’s renowned, if bizarre, ceremony of “Swearing on the Horns”, established by 18th century publicans to promote trade and mentioned in a poem by Lord Byron, is still...
Highpoint I was the first of two apartment blocks erected in the 1930s on one of the highest points in London, England, in Highgate. The architectural design was by the Russian-born architect Berthold Lubetkin, the structural design by the Anglo-Danish engineer Ove Arup and the construction by...
86: North Hill
North Hill has an impressive range of architecture from the 17th to the 20th centuries. Get a copy of the Highgate Society’s free poster, “North Hill, Highgate: The Most Architecturally Diverse Street in Britain?”