Lauderdale House

Lauderdale House

Mary Musker Lauderdale House was built c.1580, probably for merchant Sir Richard Martin, Mayor of London and friend of Sir Francis Drake. It was remodelled in its current form in 1645, but retains much of its earlier structure. It was owned during the 1660s by the...
St Joseph’s Retreat

St Joseph’s Retreat

Lavinia Quivers St. Joseph’s Retreat, Highgate Hill was the first Catholic church in the area and the chief house of the Order of Passionists in England. They built a chapel here in 1858, on the site of the Black Dog Inn; the present church buildings, seen in the...