An inscription on the 1898 building 39-40 Highgate West Hill states “Site of the Old Fox & Crown”, arguably the scene of Highgate’s greatest contribution to world history. In 1837, the young Queen Victoria was travelling down the hill when her horses bolted. The landlord, James Turner, managed to stop the carriage. Had Victoria been killed, there would have been no Victorian era! The inn was demolished in 1896; the royal coat of arms presented to Turner is now in the Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution.