The Gatehouse: Originally one of three toll gates into the mediæval Bishops of London’s Hornsey Great Park. An inn since at least 1634. The tollgate was removed in 1876. The name Highgate, first recorded in 1354, probably originated as the “high toll-gate”. Two parish boundary markers are set into its wall; one reads “S[t] P[ancras] P[arish] 1791” and the other “Hornsey Parish 1859”. They recall a time when the boundary between London and Middlesex ran through the inn, and criminals from one administration being tried in the magistrate’s court above the pub could evade justice by crossing the room! The building was remodelled in its current mock-Tudor style in 1905.